#3: Hong Kong rude locals

Post image for #3: Hong Kong rude locals

by Hong Kong Massacre Editor on June 30, 2009

Living in Hong Kong turns you into the very thing you hate – an ill mannered person with no moral sense or respect to humanity. Is being treated like a human being too much to ask? Or is it in the genetic make up of a local to be rude and impolite?
There moments where you just want to take out your ice pick and stab someone to death. The a-typical moment is when you are taking the MTR. You are in a rush and on your own merry way. As you enter the platform, you see a relatively empty turnstile and make a beeline for it. Just before you reach it, you notice that the adjacent turn stiles are quite empty as well. But since you are a decent human being, you keep to your initial route. You have a gap of 5 centimetres between you and the turn style in front of you and all of a sudden some idiot cuts into you and enters the turn style. It’s at that very moment fumes of fury puff out of your nose and you reach for your ice pick.
If you leave Hong Kong for longer than a month on business, you will most likely forget the dodgem car arena at the airport. Be prepared to be bowled over by a mainlander despite the massive expanse of space around you. Don’t expect them to stop to help you pick up your bags, much less apologize. There are morons who cut in front of you at the last mili-second, causing you to stumble.
These moronic life forms cannot walk in a straight line and despite being generally taller and bigger than most people here, they will still knock into you. Or they are walking beside you and suddenly decide to cut right in front of you. People here just don’t look at where they’re going and they bump straight into you. The worst thing is they don’t even say sorry! Open your eyes you bloody idiot. Either that, or get a GPS implant!
Other examples of when you want to kill locals are when the backs of your feet are consistently trodden on by people walking too close behind you, when you get elbowed by grannies or when someone rudely reaches across your face to get tooth picks. You’ll also get elbowed by grannies and rude men as they rush to the MTR $2 device on top of Hollywood Road just to get a discount.
Unfortunately, every expat that comes to Hong Kong very quickly catches this disease and becomes far worse than their local counterparts. They too become discourteous and bad-mannered, are rude to people and have no regard to other human beings. In particular, the French men are the worse, they are slam the phone without saying good-bye or thank you and are an embarrassment to the gwai-lo. Once or twice you get the newbie gwai-lo who apologizes upon grazing you slightly. You feel bad for not apologizing in return but invariably, you have resorted to being the very thing you hate. As the saying goes, if you can’t beat them, join them.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Live
  • Reddit
  • Tumblr
  • blogmarks

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Victor August 24, 2010 at 1:18 am

exactly and I can’t agree with you more on your observation. thanks.

Wolfman October 20, 2010 at 12:16 am

100% truth! nothing but the sad truth!
fuck them hongkies (hong kong people)

James November 23, 2010 at 10:02 pm

hong kong people should really be put in guiness world book of records as the shittest beings on the planet

Marja January 7, 2011 at 11:22 am

this is really way true..hong Kong people are rude and shitiest people I’ve ever met….they blame us filipinos because of hostage drama..yes this is our mistake and we are saying sorry in a thousand times..but they didn’t accept…they are hundreds of killing our citizen Filipino workers there than those hong Kong people just in the bus hostage incident….they are so OA….they must accept it because life is everywhere in danger…

Jon March 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm

the only thing that brings a Real Genuine smile to their smile their face is when they look at their bank books. i have grown to hate honkies over the years. i should know, i have a hong kong business partner for over 7 years and my wife is an expat working for a multi national firm in hk. the people here sucks any day and on any day sucks big time when it comes to money. oh they will tell you they are actually very nice, know them a few years and you would have discover what columbus did not, the most pretentious race in the history of mankind.

Jon March 4, 2011 at 5:03 pm

we are no saints and we are all pretentious to some extend, honkies are the worst of the lot. there is also an observation i made. they are secertly gleefully happy when bad things happen to people other then themselves and their flase sense of superiority is heighten to a point of ugliness when they go over to china for wine and dine and other ’services’. I GRAB MONEY-I DONT CARE HOW I GRAB IT-WHEN I SPEND IT YOU ARE AND MUST BE A SERVANT AND SLAVE TO ME. you have not seen rude till you see them in china.

martin June 1, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Everything is relative and for rudeness HongKong people take the prize.
Forget about normal interaction, go into a department shop and the people PAID to serve you are actually PAID to insult you.

Ben November 30, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I’m actually incredibly offended by this article. I have been to Hong Kong multiple times and though I agree with a few of those statements, I think they are greatly exaggerated and unfair. I find this article extremely stereotypical and quite frankly, pretty racist. Saying that all mainlanders are rude and obnoxious is like saying that all Indian people smell or all black people are stupid. Both of those statements are too ridiculous and incredibly offensive. I’m sorry you had a bad experience in Hong Kong but as far as i can see, Hong Kong is an incredible place to be, though it might not suite everyone… obviously not you. I understand that you may not like it, but please don’t spread hateful things such as this ridiculous post because Hong Kong really is a pretty amazing place if you give it the chance. If you don’t like Hong Kong, leave, there’s obviously nothing keeping you here. I’m absolutely gobsmacked by how stereotypical this article is, do you honestly think that you are any better than these ‘rude mainlanders’ if you post such hateful things. And if you can be turned into something that you think is so horrible and rude so easily, then you are obviously very influential and incapable of being your own person and not blending in with the crowd. Don’t blame Hong Kong for you turning into something that you apparently hated.

KC April 24, 2012 at 12:57 am

people…usually locals who have packed their home into their rucksacks… get onto the train then insist on wiping out anyone within their vicinity when they decide to move or rotate . TAKE OFF YOUR BAG YOU STUPID WNKER!! AND people who do not move down the carriage…. you want to push their eyeballs into their skulls and laugh hysterically.

UPK May 9, 2012 at 2:57 am

An asshole picking on other assholes…… Oh BTW, if I go home now, I won’t be able to find a job, so I may as well becoming one of them! hahahahahahaha…seriously, YOU and this shit are funny!!!

KL May 11, 2012 at 1:40 pm

I’m born in HK and i can’t deny i am or was rude and loud, however since i have moved to canada n met a very polite bf i, my manners seems to change. The truth is, i dont INTENTIONALLY want to be rude. Sometimes i dont know what i am doing is impolite, my parents don’t really talk to me much about manners, or remind to express it. In addition, sometimes i say thank you, sometimes i don’t but it doesnt mean i hate the person, it’s just the gesture is not set in my head. However, i do know other chinese people that gives u a unwelcome aura around them, i probably would not want to be their friend

jung joo May 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

hongers suck, but i dont think “expats” are any better. what are most “expats” doing in hk anyway? most of them are hedge fund hyenas, greedy, imperialist, and selfish, so they fit right into the local honger community. after 1949, the worst specimens of China headed for 2 places, hk, and tw, hence the 2 worst places in all of China are hk, and tw.

Travis Mills June 6, 2012 at 9:34 am

I know they are the rudest people i have ever dealt with in my life so far. They just plow thru anything even you they expect everyone to move for them like they are the only one in existence. They eat with there mouth open no manners or decency who wants to see your eaten up noodles you twat!! They are two faced and lie to your face if they can. Really HK people = al qaeda. We need to take hk back over and train some respect and manners into these worthless Chinese.

hovi baby June 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Wow Travis Mills, calling a group of people “worthless Chinese” seems a bit over the edge. There’s billions of Chinese and only 7 million in hk of which this site is dedicated to ripping on. From my travelling experiences into rural China, a lot of the grassroots people are actually very polite. I understand your rage against hk locals and the sight of a local first thing in the morning pisses me off too. RUDE MOTHER FUCKERS… You’d think living in a city the size of Brooklyn with 7 million people, these fuckers would learn to be nice and be respectful to one another. Sometimes I wish I didn’t understand Cantonese as locals are annoyingly loud and I’m forced to listen into their conversation I realize how petty locals are. Especially the men… more bitch than a bitch… If these fuckers were in America, they’d be curb stomped for their behavior.